Windows Vista: How to connect to a wireless network
Before making the configuration
- The settings on this page are for connecting to a wireless network using WEP as the default security protocol.
- We recommend that you use the best and latest security for your wireless network.
- Please use the guides supplied by the manufacturer of your devices to configure them for your wireless network.
The steps to making an Internet connection
1. From the Windows Start menu, open Control Panel.
2. Double-click the Network and Internet icon.
3. Double-click the Network and Sharing Center icon.
4. Under the Tasks section click on Manage network connections link.
5. A Wireless Network Connection icon will be displayed in the LAN or High-speed Internet section.
* If you don't have a Wireless Network Connection icon there, then Windows is currently not offering a wireless function to you. In that case, please ask the manufacturer of your device for assistance.
6. Right click on the Wireless Network Connection icon and choose Properties in the drop down menu.
7. In the This connection uses the following items: section, click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) to highlight it, and make sure it is checked, then click on the Properties button.
8. On the General tab, ensure that;
* Obtain an IP address automatically is checked
* Obtain DNS server address automatically is checked
* All the boxes are blank
9. Right click on the Wireless Network Connection icon, and choose Connect/Disconnect.
10. Your computer's wireless device should detect the wireless network being provided by your wireless router, and the name of that network (SSID) should be visible in the Wireless Network Connection window; select it and then click on the Connect button.
If you chose to conceal your network (SSID), then you would not see it here.
11. Your computer will attempt to establish a wireless connection to the chosen wireless network.
12. Your computer will request you enter the Security key you set up in your wireless router. Enter the Security key and click Connect.
If you did not set up a Security key in your wireless router, the Security key will not be requested here.
13. An attempt to connect to the wireless network will begin. After the connection has been established, click Close.
* Please go back to the top of this page and confirm the settings you made.