Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ FAQ
- What is the Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ service?
- Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ is mobile broadband service. One of its strongest feature is the maximum possible speed of 220Mbps (best effort) allowing for stress-free and fast data communication in your home and outside your home. Speeds of 1Gbps are expected to be offered sometime in the future. If you have a Wi-Fi capable device (computer, iPad, iPhone, etc.) you will be able to connect it to the Internet using the Wi-Fi router you purchase with the Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ service.
Please visit this page to find out more about the Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ service.
- What is LTE option?
LTE option is an optional service which allows the use of au 4G LTE network in High-speed Area Mode.
- What is the difference between High-speed Mode and High-speed Area Mode?
High-speed Mode refers to a communication mode where WiMAX 2+ network can be used, whereas High-speed Area Mode refers to a communication mode where both WiMAX 2+ network and au 4G LTE network, which covers larger service areas, can be used.
LTE option refers to an optional service that allows using 4G LTE network in the High-speed Area Mode.
- Some of the devices may not support High-speed Area Mode.
- High-speed Area Mode can be used by switching the communication mode in the home screen of a compatible device.
- Is there a speed restriction for High-speed Area Mode?
Restriction on communication speed will be applied when the total amount of traffic exceeds 7 GB in a month. When restriction on communication speed is applied, communication speed for WiMAX 2+ High-speed Mode will also be restricted.
Please note that restriction on communication speed is also applied for Unlimited Data with LTE Plan, when the total amount of traffic using the High-Speed Area Mode exceeds 7 GB in a month.
- Is a Fixed IP address available?
- Yes. When you make an application for Asahi Net WiMAX 2+, choose the with Fixed IP address option. By doing this, you will be charged an extra 800 yen /month.
- I already use Asahi Net WiMAX 2+. Can I apply for a Fixed IP address?
Yes, it is possible to apply for the additional Fixed IP Address option. After completing the application, you will need to change the APN and User Name setting in the Wi-Fi router.
- I already use Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ together with the Fixed IP Address option. Can I cancel just the Fixed IP address option?
- Yes, it is possible to cancel only the additional Fixed IP Address option. After completing the cancel process, you will need to change the APN and User Name setting in the Wi-Fi router.
Use of Services
- After making an application, when can I start to use the service?
- Approximately one week after making your application for the Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ service, the communication device you ordered will be delivered to you. Once you complete the configuration settings, you should be able to use the service.
- Is it possible to connect several computers to the Internet at the same time?
- The Wi-Fi router supplied with the Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ service makes it possible to connect from 5 to 10 computers or other devices at the same time to the service. Please visit our Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ page for more information.
- Is it possible to connect to the Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ service with my own Wi-Fi router?
- No. You may only use the Wi-Fi router supplied with the Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ service.
Billing and Payment of Charges
- Is additional charge required to use the LTE option?
Charges for LTE option differs depending on the plan you are using. Please check the details below, according to the plan you are using or are intending to use.
■ Plans with a two-year contract term (Unlimited Data Plan and Fixed Data Plan.)
In any month the High-speed Plus Area Mode is used, an additional 1,005 yen (tax-excluded) /month will be charged, regardless of the amount of data traffic used. (There will be no option charges for the month in which no connection using High-speed Plus Area Mode was made.)
■ Plans with a three-year contract term (Unlimited Data with LTE Plan and Fixed Data with LTE Plan.)
These plans include LTE option, thus there will be no optional charges for using High-speed Plus Area Mode.
- If I change the data plan, when will the change of data plan put into effect?
Change of data plan will take effect from the month following the month in which change of data plan was applied. (However, data plan change of which application is made between 9:30 p.m. to 11:59 p.m. on the last day of the month, there may be cases where change will take effect from the month after the following month.)
When you change your data plan from that with a two-year contract term to that with a three-year contract term, LTE option charges are waived from the month in which change of data plan is applied.
- If I change the data plan, will the campaign details continue to be in effect?
Yes, the campaign details will continue to be in effect even after the data plan has been changed.
- If I change the data plan, will there be a cancellation charge?
■ For individual members
There will be no cancellation charge.
- Would I be able to upgrade my router?
Yes, with a special discount rate, you can exchange your current router device to the latest version of your choice when you make a request from the router upgrading request page. This is provided only in Japanese language.
If you go Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ account managing page (You will be required your Asahi Net ID and Password), then click [changing to a new router model] at the bottom of the page where you will be directed to upgrade request page by UQ communications.
- WiMAX2+ router upgrade request (under the management of UQ Commuinications) can be made only in Japanese language.
- After canceling the Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ service, what should I do with the Wi-Fi router?
- As you purchased the Wi-Fi router from Asahi Net, it is your device and you will want to consider putting it in storage, disposing of it, etc.
- If I change the data plan, will the contract period be carried over?
Whether the contract period be carried over or not depends on to which data plan the change is made.
Data plan changes where Reset is indicated in the following chart, contract period will not be carried over. The contract period will be reset to a 36-month contract, counting the month following the month in which application for data plan change has been made as the first month of the contract.
Current Unlimited Data Plan Fixed Data Plan Unlimited Data with LTE Plan Fixed Data with LTE Plan After change Unlimited Data Plan - Carried over Reset Reset Fixed Data Plan Carried over - Reset Reset
- If you are an individual member, once you change the data plan to that with a three-year contract term, you cannot change back to a data plan with a two-year contract term.
- Can I change the data plan from that with a three-year contract term (Unlimited Data with LTE Plan and Fixed Data with LTE Plan) to that with a two-year contract term (Unlimited Data Plan and Fixed Data Plan)?
■ For individual members
Once the data plan is changed to that with a three-year contract term, you cannot change back to a data plan with a two-year contract term.
- How can I check the details of the two-year contract plan (Unlimited Data Plan, Fixed Data Plan)?
We are no longer accepting new application for two-year contract plan (Unlimited Data Plan, Fixed Data Plan) for individual members. For details of the two-year contract plan, please refer to the following webpage.
- How do I connect to the service?
- Regardless of the device (computer, iPad, iPhone, Android) you want to connect to the Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ service, after receiving the Wi-Fi router you should find Internet connection is possible. You will first need to insert the supplied IC card into the Wi-Fi router and then configure the router. Please refer to the guide supplied with the Wi-Fi router. Please visit our Configuration Guide page for more information.
- The Wi-Fi router does not connect to the service. What can I do?
- Please confirm that the place you are attempting to use the Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ service is a service area.
You may also want to confirm that there was no WiMAX 2+ maintenance or outage at the time you tried to connect. Please visit our Maintenance and Service Outage page for that information.
If the problem persists, please contact Asahi Net and let us know more about the problem. We'd like to know the following:
- The model of Wi-Fi router.
- The status of the lamps on the Wi-Fi router.
- The Wi-Fi router is broken. I've lost the Wi-Fi router. What can I do?
- As you have purchased the Wi-Fi router from Asahi Net then it is your property and you have responsibility for taking care of it, therefore if you lose it or it is damaged you will need to consider purchasing a replacement.
Please contact Asahi Net should the Wi-Fi router be broken or you have lost the Wi-Fi router.
- The service is unavailable at a specific location, such as at home or work place. What can I do?
- As WiMAX and WiMAX 2+ have highly linear signals, even if you are in a service area there are some cases where an obstacle in the vicinity (e.g. tall building) may prevent the signal from reaching the Wi-Fi router.
Furthermore, as placing the Wi-Fi router next to your PC is unnecessary, please position the Wi-Fi router in a location it can best pick up the signal, such as near a window.
- Asahi Net WiMAX 2+ Application
- Apply by Web
Click and Apply
- Apply by Phone 0120-577-135 0120-577-135
10 a.m-5 p.m., Monday to Friday,
excluding national holidays
After listening to the audio assist, press the applicable number.
- Asahi Net Member
- Customers New to Asahi Net